2018 MREA Annual Conference
Engaging Students NOW
Join us at the 2018 MREA Annual Conference to find ways to make learning relevant, authentic, and valuable in students’ lives. More than 40 presenters will share best practices, solutions, and research on this period of adolescent transition and readiness transformation.
Save with Team Registration
Save $45 per person when you register teams of 3 people or more from the same MREA member organization.
Suzy Pepper Rollins
Acceleration: Moving Students to Success
Closing gaps historically have focused on filling every hole a learner has. What if we chose acceleration instead? Acceleration prepares students for success just in time for new learning. We lay the groundwork for acquisition learning by establishing just enough prior knowledge to both instill curiosity and connect to new information. Learn more
Legislative Lessons: What’s Next for Rural Schools?
Sam Walseth has logged 18 legislative sessions lobbying at the Minnesota State Capitol and leading successful coalitions to improve equity in educational opportunities for rural students. He will provide an insider’s perspective on the 2018 legislative activities and share what’s next for rural schools.
Learning Revolution: Active vs. Passive Classrooms
Nigel Nisbet transformed the math classroom as a teacher and now is leading content development at the MIND Research Institute to help schools of all sizes do the same. He will share proven methods, tools and tactics that result in students that are better prepared for success in school and the knowledge-based economy. Learn more
New Deep Dive Workshop
Active Learning and Moving Students into the Fast Lane
Conference keynote speaker Suzy Pepper Rollins will deliver a 3.5-hour deep dive workshop about active learning. Participants will leave with a new perspective of what the active classroom can look like, complete with strategies for every grade and content. This session will also recharge your passion with new practices to get students intellectually moving! Intended for all content and grade levels.
Check yes on your registration form to attend this workshop in place of other conference breakout sessions.
Early Bird Sessions
7:00 pm Sunday
- Continuous Improvement: Essential Role of School Leaders
- Financial and Capital Projects: Tools & Case Studies
- Media Lessons: Stories that Make A Mark
- Twists, Turns & Celebrations of Personalized Learning
Breakout Session 1
10:05 am Monday
- Achieving a Landmark Bond Referendum
- Alternative Teacher Licensing and Micro-Credentialing
- Basics of Effective English Learner Program
- Collaborative School Counseling
- Emergency 101: Preparing Students
- IB Framework for Success in Greater Minnesota
- If Rigor Were Easy, We’d All Be Doing It!
- One Big Rock to Student- Centered Classrooms
- Self-Paced Math Experience
Breakout Session 2
11:10 am Monday
- Cybersecurity and Students: What You Should Know
- Enlivening Arts and Engagement
- High Reliability: Becoming Level 1 Certified
- Innovative Projects Improving Mental Health
- Making Changes and Having Difficult Conversations
- Maximize Construction Proceeds
- Unit Planning for Long-Term Success
- Using edTPA for Teacher Growth
- Using Home Languages in Classrooms
- Vision 2025: Minnesota Blueprint for AFNR Education
Breakouts Session 3
1:30 pm Monday
- 10 Seconds to View…A Lifetime on the Web
- Employment Law for Rural Administrators
- ENVoY and Transforming Power of Influence
- Leverage Commitment to Develop World’s Best Workforce
- Making Our Schools Safer
- Poetry Out Loud: Engaging Classroom Curriculum
- Restorative Practices: Alternative for Punitive Consequences
- Tiered Licensure and You
- The Death of Discipline: Alternatives to Suspension
Deep Dive Session
10:05 am – 2:45 pm Monday
- Active Learning and Moving Students into the Fast Lane
SUNDAY, NOV. 11
4:00 PM Conference Check-in starts
5:30 PM Light Dinner Buffet
7:00 PM Early-Bird Workshops
MONDAY. NOV. 12
7:00 AM Breakfast Buffet
8:15 AM Welcome & Opening Keynote Speaker
10:05 AM Breakout Sessions 1
11:10 AM Breakout Sessions 2
12:00 PM Lunch
1:30 PM Breakout Sessions 3
3:00 PM Mindstorm
4:15 PM Legislative Lessons & Social
6:00 PM Awards Banquet
7:30 PM Dessert & Conversation
TUESDAY, NOV. 13
7:30 AM Breakfast & Gallery Walk
9:30 AM Closing Speaker
10:30 AM MREA Annual Business Meeting
11:00 AM Prizes, Pick up CEUs & Send-off
Member Registration (Opens July 9)
*Non-members see below
- $275 Early Bird per person through Oct. 26
- $315 per person after Oct. 26
- Includes optional free Gallery Walk vendor booth
- Register Conference Individual
- $165 Early Bird per person through Aug. 10
- $230 per person beginning Aug. 11
- $270 per person after Oct. 26
- Includes optional free Gallery Walk vendor booth
- Teams must register and send at least 3 people
- Register Conference Team
Gallery Walk Vendor Only:
- $100 per person (no conference)
- All Gallery Walk registration closes Oct. 15 or earlier if spaces fill
- Register Conference Individual and select “Gallery Walk vendor only”
*Non-Member Registration (Opens August 15)
- Check back August 15 for registration links
Lodging at Cragun’s Resort on Gull Lake
MREA has arranged a preferred lodging rate that will be honored until October 11. Accommodations are not included with the conference registration fee. Reserve your lodging today:
- Groups may reserve cabins rather than individual hotel rooms.
- Indicate room partners, cabin requests, dietary or accessibility needs, etc.
Don’t delay, as lodging filled early last year. Contact Cragun’s directly at phone 1-(800)-CRAGUNS regarding any lodging questions. Registration is online only.
Reach out during the Gallery Walk to increase your reach with professional educators while creating a strong network of associates. When you need to talk with school administrators and educators, Gallery Walk is your place to successfully connect. It’s held concurrently with breakfast on Tuesday, allowing vendors more interaction time with conference attendees.
Gallery Walk registration opens July 9 for members and August 15 for non-members:
- Exhibiting is included with full conference registration for MREA Associate/school district members and non-members. (Answer “yes” when asked during registration.)
- Gallery Walk for Associate/school district members without conference registration is $100 per person.
- Gallery Walk for non-members without conference registration is $500 per person; non-member registration including Gallery Walk is $600 per person.
- Registration closes October 15 or earlier if all spaces fill.
Plan Your Booth
- Booth displays must be set up by 7:15 am Tuesday. Set-up is from 8:00-9:30 pm Monday and 6:30-7:15 am Tuesday in the Event Centre.
- One 8 ft. long by 30” wide covered table and two chairs are provided. Skirting, dividers, and drapery are not provided.
- Electricity and WiFi are available at every table. Vendors should supply extension cords and power strips.
- Table-top banners and displays work best. Floor-standing banners and exhibits may be accommodated behind tables or replace tables.
- Booth set-up is flexible and must be contained within the space occupied by the table and chairs.
- Food preparation is allowed only with prior permission from Cragun’s.
- Vendors are provided breakfast before Gallery Walk opens.
- Booth take-down is allowed during the Closing Session and Business Meeting provided there is no disruption to these other conference activities.
- Booth giveaways are limited to $5 or less per individual to comply with Minnesota’s gift law for public officials.
- Bring a small stamp or sticker to validate participants’ Gallery Walk Passports after they visit your booth. Completed passports qualify schools to win additional prizes.