The U.S. Department of Education named ten Minnesota schools as National Blue Ribbon Schools for 2019, based on their overall academic performance or progress in closing achievement gaps among student groups.
Four of the schools are in Greater Minnesota and MREA members. Three of the schools received the Exemplary High Performing School honor. Montevideo Middle School was among those recognized as an Exemplary Achievement Gap Closing School.
“These schools show what can be accomplished when educators, families and communities come together,” MREA Executive Director Fred Nolan. “They face the obstacles, get creative and persevere. In many ways, they are beating the odds and the result is achievement gains for students.”
- Exemplary High Performing Schools are among their state’s highest performing schools, as measured by state assessments or nationally normed tests.
- Exemplary Achievement Gap Closing Schools are among their state’s highest performing schools in closing achievement gaps between a school’s student groups and all students.
The recognized schools from Greater Minnesota are:
- Hancock PreK-12 School, Hancock Public School District
- Hills-Beaver Creek Elementary School, Hills-Beaver Creek School District
- Lincoln Elementary School, Alexandria Public School District
- Montevideo Middle School, Montevideo Public School District
The National Blue Ribbon Schools Program recognizes public and private schools based on their overall academic excellence or their progress in closing achievement gaps among student subgroups. More than 9,000 schools across the country have been presented with this award that validates exemplary teaching and learning. The National Blue Ribbon School award affirms the hard work of students, educators, families, and communities in creating safe and welcoming schools where students master challenging content. Learn more
“I’m proud to celebrate these ten Blue Ribbon schools that are going above and beyond to give Minnesota students a world-class education,” Gov. Tim Walz said. “We will continue learning from one another to make progress and provide every single child in Minnesota with that same extraordinary education, regardless of race or ZIP code.”
View the criteria for Blue Ribbon status as Exemplary High performing schools and Exemplary Achievement Gap Closing Schools.
“I am incredibly proud of our educators for the high-quality teaching and learning environments that they create for our students,” Minnesota Education Commissioner Mary Cathryn Ricker said. “I offer my congratulations to this year’s awardees and look forward to partnering with them to see what best practices we can amplify throughout the state so all of our students can have the best education possible.”