During a time of year usually marked by notebooks, pencils and crayons, K-12 schools and students across Minnesota are receiving some additional support to begin the school year.
By Monday, schools will receive masks and other equipment to promote safety staff and students. With the distribution support of the state’s regional service cooperatives, Minnesota is providing the following supplies to all public schools:
- One cloth face covering for every K-12 student and staff member
- Three disposable masks for every K-12 student
- Face shields for all licensed teachers and 50% of non-licensed staff
This year will look, feel and be different than any other in the past. The Minnesota Department of Education (MDE) has worked this summer to provide schools direction on how to best handle a variety of situations given the COVID-19 pandemic.
Here’s a round up of the latest guidance and resources provided:
Guidance By Topic
- Arts Programming
- Assessing Learning
- Early Care and Education
- Direct Support Services
- School-Age Care
- Special Education
- Student Instruction
- Transportation of Nonpublic and Charter School Students
- Work from Home (Coming Soon)
Regional Support Teams
Each school district will have a Regional Support Team — made up of local health officials, members of the local service cooperative, representatives from the Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) and MDE. The purpose of the Regional Support Team is to support school personnel in three key ways:
- When districts have positive COVID-19 cases in their district or community
- Ongoing consultation and expertise from MDH
- Provide COVID-19 Testing and other PPE needs
These teams can provide support as districts evaluate and decide to move from one learning model to another throughout this school year.
- Safe Learning Plan
- 2020-21 Planning Guidance for Minnesota Public Schools
- Supporting Students and Families
- CARES Act Funding
- View CARES Funding by school district.
- Public Engagement
- Food and Nutrition Services
The state guide for families is available in a variety of languages: