Minnesota Department of Education (MDE) made its annual statewide trip last week to meet with school leaders on the law changes that came out of the recent legislative session. MDE Director of Finance Tom Melcher, along with MDE government relations staff, presented the results to superintendents and business managers at regional meetings from Marshall to Baudette and from Hermantown to St. Peter and points in between.
Key highlights include:
- 2% and 2% on the formula ($121 & 124), from $6,067 to $6,188 and $6,312
- Creation of a new School Readiness Plus (SR+) program for FY 18 and 19 only
- School Building Bond Agricultural Credit equal to 40% of school bonded debt Ag Land taxes
- Tiered licensure and the new Professional Educator Licensing and Standards Board (PELSB)
- Changes in required uses of compensatory revenue and ACT/SAT funding
View the MDE slides outlining the impact.
Watch for a more detailed summary of the new education articles from MDE this summer.