MREA encourages members to apply for two openings for the Board of School Administrators. The openings are for a college educator and an elementary principal. The application deadline is Sept. 24. The meetings are held on the second Monday of each month at the Minnesota Department of Education Office in Roseville. Get an application.
The board consists of ten members appointed by the governor with the advice and consent of the Senate, including at least: one elementary school principal; one secondary school principal; one higher education faculty member in an education administration program approved by the board; one school superintendent; one classroom teacher; one community education director and a special education director; and two members of the public, one of whom must be a present or former school board member
Here’s a look at some of the key responsibilities as described by state law:
- License school administrators
- Adopt rules to license school administrators under Chapter 14
- Other than the rules transferred to the board under section 122A.27, subdivision 4, the board may not adopt or amend rules under this section until the rules are approved by law.
- Adopt rules shall include the licensing of persons who have successfully completed alternative perparation programs under section 122A.27 or other alternative competency-based preparation programs
- Enter into agreements with the board of teaching regarding multiple license matters