The Minnesota Department of Agriculture (MDA) is providing schools grants of up to $50,000. The grants support the Minnesota Farm to School Grant Program and focus on projects that stimulate the purchases of locally grown and raised food products. Grants need to be submitted by March 15. View the RFP and application.
The goal of the Farm to School Grant Program is to increase sales of Minnesota agricultural products to K-12 educational institution. The grants will focus on the following:
- Equipment purchases and physical improvements are eligible for 50% of the total project cost, up to a maximum grant award of $50,000. Recipients must contribute the remaining 50% of the total project cost as a cash contribution. Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Minnesota (Blue Cross) has committed up to $125,000 to help schools meet the requirement for matching funds. Blue Cross funds may only be used for equipment and physical improvements.
- Feasibility studies are eligible for 75% of the total project cost – up to a maximum grant award of $30,000. Recipients must contribute the remaining 25% of the project cost as a cash contribution.
Any school that is serving meals to K-12 students is eligible to apply. This includes public, private or charter schools. The program is open to all districts regardless of the level of free and reduced lunches they provide. View the RFP and application.