MREA announced today it will have seven open seats on its Board of Directors beginning Jan. 1, 2022. The MREA Board invites members to apply and help build on MREA’s success by contributing knowledge, expertise and energy. The application deadline is October 17.
2022 Board Openings
MREA’s four membership zones are each represented on the Board by one school administrator, one teacher, one school board member, and one at-large member, who are elected by MREA membership. The Board also appoints two higher education, two service cooperative, and one education district representative. View interactive zone map. View current Board.
These positions will be open for 2022:
North Zone (districts on or north of Hwy. 2)
- Administrator, 4-Year Term
- Teacher, 4-Year Term
North Central Zone (south of Hwy. 2, north of Hwy. 210)
- School Board, 4-Year Term
South Central Zone (south of Hwy. 210, on/north of Hwys. 14/63/61)
- Administrator, 3-Year Term
- Teacher, 4-Year Term
South Zone (south of Hwys. 14/63/61)
- At-Large, 4-Year Term
- Teacher, 2-Year Term
Directors generally serve 4-year terms and meet four times annually in St. Paul and Greater Minnesota and/or virtually. They are expected to be prepared for forward-looking discussion regarding education issues. When hosted in person, meetings are held over two days, starting late afternoon/evening and continuing until noon the second day; online meeting times and formats vary based on the agenda. View the meeting schedule.
Member Meetings & Advocacy Leadership
Board members attend the Fall Member Meeting online or in their area and the MREA Annual Conference. Directors also serve as MREA ambassadors and provide leadership for educational advocacy at local and state levels.
MREA reimburses travel expenses and provides meals and lodging. Directors may also be eligible for per diem per board policy. Districts are reimbursed substitute classroom teacher pay for teacher representatives.
Members ready to be visible leaders for MREA must meet these qualifications at application and for the duration of their MREA Board term:
- Represent a “full” (non-introductory) member of MREA in the zone in which the vacancy exists
- Ability to travel and attend overnight meetings
- Availability for Board and other meeting dates
- Willingness to actively participate in MREA governance and affirm policies and by-laws
- Strong commitment to advocating for Greater Minnesota students
- School Board directors must actively serve on a member-district board of education in the zone in which the opening exists
- Teacher directors must hold a MN teaching license and be employed under the terms of a teachers master contract with a member district in the zone in which the opening exists
- Administrator directors must hold a MN Board of School Administrators licensed position with a member district in the zone in which the opening exists
- At-Large directors must maintain employment or residency within a member district in the zone in which the opening exists
Candidates must submit their applications online and email MREA at firstname.lastname@example.org a brief Statement of Interest summarizing their interest and qualifications in serving on the Board. The application deadline is Sunday, October 17. Submit your application here.
Ballots will be mailed to eligible voting members in late November. Elected candidates will take office effective January 1 with orientation prior to the first Board meeting. Call the MREA office at (320) 762-6574 with questions.