The application window has opened for the 167 Minnesota school districts, charters and cooperatives eligible for funding through the Federal Small Rural Schools Achievement (SRSA) program.
These districts must complete the grant application process by April 20 to receive their eligible funding. These districts should have received notification directly. View eligible schools. The 2018 SRSA application is available at Grants.gov.
About the Program
The purpose of the Small, Rural School Achievement (SRSA) program is to provide rural LEAs with financial assistance to fund initiatives aimed at improving student academic achievement.
Local education agencies (LEAs) are entitled to funds if they meet basic eligibility and application requirements. Awards are issued annually, and award amounts are determined using a formula.
Uses of Funds
Grantees may use SRSA funds to carry out activities authorized under any of the following federal programs:
- Title I-A (Improving Basic Programs Operated by Local Education Agencies)
Example: A school district develops an entrepreneurial education program to supplement its civics curriculum.
- Title II-A (Supporting Effective Instruction)
Example: A school district pays the stipend for a prospective teacher to work alongside an effective teacher, who is the teacher of record, for a full academic year.
- Title III (Language Instruction for English Learners and Immigrant Students)
Example: A school district offers an afterschool enrichment program for English learners.
- Title IV-A (Student Support and Academic Enrichment)
Example: A school district purchases a bully prevention program for all schools.
- Title IV-B (21st Century Community Learning Centers)
Example: A school district purchases instruments to supplement schools’ band and orchestra programs.
If you have questions regarding the SRSA program or the grant application, please send them to REAP@ed.gov.
New Part of the Application
The Disclosure of Lobbying Activities form (Standard Form LLL) in the FY 2018 Small, Rural School Achievement Program (SRSA) grant application is a new form in the SRSA grant application process and should be completed as follows:
- All mandatory fields in this form (indicated with an asterisk *) must be complete in order to submit your SRSA application.
- Complete fields 1-6 and field 11, as applicable.
- If your LEA does not sponsor lobbying activities, type “NA” in each of the mandatory fields (First Name, Last Name) for 10 a and 10 b.